This month has been a bit crazy for me with Passover taking over so I have to admit this was a last minute scramble. I couldn't find any of the unique crops in my usual store so I settled for asparagus- white asparagus to be exact. Did you know that it's white because it's grown under soil so that it's deprived of sunlight? This way it can't perform photosynthesis and produce chlorophyll (the thing that makes plants green). White asparagus is more subtle in flavor and a bit more tender.
Dill Cornmeal Crusted Asparagus
1 bunch white asparagus, washed
2/3 c cornmeal
1/3 c whole wheat flour
1 t salt
2 T nutritional yeast
½ c water
2 T olive oil
1 bunch fresh dill
¼ c panko bread crumb
1. Preheat oven to 400 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut asparagus edges off on a diagonal and set aside.
3. Wash the dill and trim off stems
4. Combine all ingredients (except asparagus) in a food processor and blend until smooth
5. Pour mixture into a mixing bowl
6. Roll the top third of each asparagus in the mixture and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle panko crumbs on coated tops
7. Then sprinkle salt and pepper on exposed stalks
8. Roast for 20 minutes