Saturday, January 21, 2012

Shakshuka Breakfast Burrito: Recipe Redux

Traditionally, shakshuka is a Middle Eastern dish of eggs poached in an aromatic spicy tomato sauce.  I had the privilege of trying shakshuka for the first time last year at my good friends Mordy and Tiffany.  Before then, I didn’t know much about it and never bothered trying it.  Oh my goodness!  I was seriously missing out and now I have to make up for all these shakshuka-less years.  Tomatoes and eggs are really great together.  The acidity of the tomato plus the savory poached eggs all mixed together with aromatic spices is divine.  No wonder Shakshuka in Hebrew means “All mixed up.” 

For January’s Recipe Redux, the theme is “Fresh Starts” and there’s no better way to start off the day than with a healthy breakfast makeover.  When I think of calorie and fat-laden breakfasts, my mind goes straight to breakfast burritos.  Usually filled with hash browns, cheese, and eggs, the breakfast burrito can definitely use a face-lift. 



I decided to make a Shakshuka breakfast burrito with an Italian twist- how’s that for global cuisine?  Most of the shakshuka recipes I’ve seen call for canned tomatoes with their juices.  I wanted to keep my recipe wholesome so I used fresh tomatoes and added some white cooking wine (Thanks to my husband, Brad, for that idea!) to increase the sauciness.  The result was molto delizioso (Italian for very delicious)!


Shakshuka Breakfast Burrito
2 T olive oil
1.5 lb tomatoes, chopped
1 small onion, diced
½ t sugar
1 t cumin
½ t paprika
Chili powder to taste (depending on how spicy you like it)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 t tomato paste
¼ c white cooking wine (optional)
4 eggs
Salt
Handful of fresh basil
Sliced avocado and shredded cheese for toppings

Sauté the onion in olive oil until golden.  Add tomatoes, garlic, and spices.  Cook on medium heat for 10 min.  Add tomato paste, sugar, wine, and half of the fresh basil.  Simmer, covered, for 30 min.  Mixture should thicken and get darker.
Break the eggs into the pan and sprinkle with a little salt.  Cover the pan.  Cook for 6 minutes.  Sprinkle with more basil.
Spoon shakshuka onto whole wheat tortillas, top with sliced avocado and shredded cheese, roll up and enjoy!

*Caveat*: Since the shakshuka was so hot, the wraps got very steamy and didn’t roll up well.  Roll up at your own risk!  Or do what I did, eat it hot-open style with a fork and knife.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, this is so creative and crave- worthy! I've never had shakshua either but your recipe has inspired ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...