Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Vacation Smoothie


This month's Recipe Redux Challenge is "Memorable Vacation Meals."  Since I keep kosher, most of my favorite meal memories aren't from vacations, especially if we were visiting a place without a Jewish community.  Growing up, I remember eating a lot of tuna and PB&J, none of which are blog-worthy.  I definitely had some great meals on vacation with my husband but none too easy to "redux" or make healthy (think steak and nachos).

I've spent a good amount of time in Israel: vacationing and studying post-High School for a year.  Since kosher food is readily available in Israel, I decided to write about my favorite juicebar called Juiceland.  A Juiceland smoothie is one of the simple joys of my life.  It doesn't have protein or power "boosts" like most of the juicebars in America.  It's simply frozen fruit, milk or OJ, and some mystery white powder they throw in (sugar?).  I would always choose peaches and pears: such a great combo!  Here is my recreation of the Juiceland smoothie.



Peach Pear Smoothie
Yields: 2 8oz cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients
1 c low fat milk
1 peach, sliced and frozen
1 pear, sliced and frozen
dash of cinnamon
1 T honey

Directions:
1.     Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth


It wasn't too sweet so I could really appreciate the natural flavors of the fruit.  Plus, I left the peels on to make this a fiber-packed, nutrient rich beverage. It doesn't get any simpler or easier than this (unless you just eat the fruit raw!)

On a side note, I apologize for being absent the past few months.  I started a new full time job in May and haven't had a spare moment.  I'm going to try to get back into blogging again but definitely not as often as before.  Thanks for your patience!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...